By now you've probably heard that Emotional Intelligence (or EQ) is highly desirable in the work place. Decades of research show that it's that critical factor, that special something in star performers. But it also makes you an ideal romantic partner, parent, and friend! People with strong emotional skills feel really alive. (P.S. The great news is, we can grow these skills all our lives.)
Here are some qualities of people with high EQ:
1. They're not perfectionists.
2. They're self-aware.
3. They're empathic.
4. They have a wide emotional vocabulary.
5. They're curious about other people.
6. They take down time.
7. They set boundaries.
8. They're gracious and assertive.
9. They're good judges of character, can read people, and tune in to motivations.
10. They practice patience, calm, and time to process emotional reactions.
11. They have fun.
12. They are hard to offend.
13. They squash negative self-talk.
14. They embrace change.